Hornsea Mere - UK Airfield Guide

Now having 5,000 + listed!

Probably becoming the most extensive British flying sites guide online...?

portfolio1 portfolio2 portfolio3 portfolio4

Heading 1

This is an example of the content for a specific image in the Nivo slider. Provide a short description of the image here....

Heading 2

This is an example of the content for a specific image in the Nivo slider. Provide a short description of the image here....

Heading 3

This is an example of the content for a specific image in the Nivo slider. Provide a short description of the image here....

Heading 4

This is an example of the content for a specific image in the Nivo slider. Provide a short description of the image here....

small portfolio1 small portfolio2 small portfolio3 small portfolio4
themed object
A Guide to the history of British flying sites within the United Kingdom
get in touch

Hornsea Mere





HORNSEA MERE: Temporary water flying ‘exhibition’ site later military seaplane station for Marine Operations
(Sub-Station to KILLINGHOLME)

Aerial view 2018
Aerial view 2018
Aerial detail 2018
Aerial detail 2018


Note:  These two pictures were obtained from Google Earth ©








 

Military users: RNAS/RAF  (Royal Naval Air Service / Royal Air Force)

248 Sqdn [RAF]   (Fairey Hamble Baby, Short 184)
 

Operated by: (1913)   The Lakes Flying Company (of Lake Windermere)
 

Location: S of the B1244, W of the B1242, just SW of Hornsea, 12nm S of Bridlington
 

Period of operation:   Civil:  12th June, 1913       

Military: 1914, (1915 according to other sources), to 1919

 

NOTES: On the 5th June 1913 The Lakes Flying Company dismantled their Waterhen aircraft and transported it by road to HORNSEA MERE. It was test flown on the 11th June. On the afternoon of the 12th a demonstration flight was given by Mr Adams, (before a crowd of 5,000 people), and then passengers were flown for just five minute flights at £2 a time. (Roughly a weeks wages for a skilled worker).

The Waterhen was then taken back to Lake Windermere, reassembled and test flown on 20th June. In other words this whole exercise took sixteen days - for just a few hours flying. I wonder if it proved profitable?


No. 248 Squadron was formed by the RAF in August 1918, by merging 404, 405 and 453 Flights of the RNAS. Their duties were patrolling the coast of Yorkshire and presumably Lincolnshire (?), mainly looking for German U-boats. It was disbanded in March 1919.



 

 

We'd love to hear from you, so please scroll down to leave a comment!

 


 

Leave a comment ...


Name
 
Email:
 
Message:
 

 
Copyright (c) UK Airfield Guide

                                                

slide up button